The Basics Of Hill Gliding

1) Set the height adjustment to middle setting

There are three different deck levels, the top setting is the lowest and easiest riding position and is the best position for first time riders, but it reduces carving angle significantly. The middle setting is where most riders will stay once you get the basics down. The lowest setting is for expert rides, faster speed and sharper turning.

2) Inflate your tire to 20 PSI

We suggest at least 20 PSI to give the tire enough strength to stay firm under weight of the rider. An over inflated tire will make the boards response more adjolie but it also make the ride more bumpy. An underinflated tire will give a sloppy response and will not carve sharp against the hill face.

3) Find a nice hill

You need to be on the slope face to get rolling right away. We advise new beginners to start towards the bottom of the hill. If you start from the top as a beginner, it’s pretty intimidating, so get accustomed to the ride first, and then slowly move up the hill as you gain confidence.

4) Firmly hold the brake and put your back foot on the deck.

Tilt the board away from you while holding the brake, then put your foot on the back of the board while the board is still tilted, resting on the back wheel.

5) Stay Low!

If you’ve ever watched a surfer they crouch pretty low, it’s the perfect position to get gliding – bend the knees and keep a low center of gravity. *Don’t lean back! If you crouch more you’ll lean with your feet and not your entire body.

6) Keep your weight back behind the wheel!

We find that keeping your back shoulder in line with your back foot is the perfect place for weight distribution.

7) Place your front foot on the glider and release the brake

Keeping about 60% of your weight supported by your back leg with the remaining 40% supported by your front foot gives the best weight distribution. You place your front foot on the deck – it’s like your accelerator, quickly release the brake, and use your back foot to level the deck and turn.

8) And away you go!

As you start to descend the slope, look in the direction you want to go and the glider should start to point you towards your goal.

Turning & Carving

Once your glider gets up to speed you’ll notice the board becomes easier to level, the centrifugal force of the big wheel is doing most of the work for you. By slightly pushing down with you toes and then with your heels you’ll notice the board responds intuitively. By looking in the direction you want to go the board will crave towards that direction.
Don’t lean too far back, if your shoulders are further back then your waste you’ll always fall backwards off the board, make sure to keep your center of gravity above the board when pushing down with your heels.

Kick Turn

Once you’ve mastered carving you can graduate on to Kick turns, this is when you lift the back wheel off the ground so the board is riding momentarily on the central wheel, at this moment the rider can twist their hips and the board will turn virtually on a dime.

You can also tap the brakes which will move the momentum of the rider forward lifting back wheel, again at this moment the rider can twist their hips and the board will turn virtually on a dime.
Kick turns are quick! Make sure you prepare by having your weight towards the inside of the turn.

Lesson #3

Keep your weight on your back foot

Your Center of mass must be kept behind the main wheel to keep you from being pitched forward off the board. An easy way to remember this is to keep your shoulder, knee and foot horizontally aligned to keep your weight in the proper position.
Don’t lean too far back, if you keep your center of mass between the main wheel and the back inline.

The Basics of Balance

Ballance is easy when you stand correctly. By lowering your body you create a zigzag shape that creates multiple bend angles. Each of these bends add to your ability to balance better from side to side. This stance creates a spring like shape allowing your body to intuitively make micro adjustments and maintain balance. As you get better balance you’ll notice your stance straightening up. You will naturally return to this stance when hard carving and turning.

Get low like a surfer and you’ll get the basics.